[linux-elitists] How is it possible to have a dual licensed Linux Distro.

Ben Finney ben@benfinney.id.au
Fri Aug 31 16:53:22 PDT 2007

On 31-Aug-2007, James Sparenberg wrote:
> The first line in this article --
> http://www.linuxdevices.com/news/NS3953873333.html is "A company
> maintaining a dual-licensed Linux distribution for x86-based routers
> ....."  and frankly to my puny mind seems like a big no no.  However
> I could be wrong.

Any work of creative expression recognised under copyright law
autmoatically has a copyright holder. A GNU/Linux distribution, if it
involves such creative expression, can thus be licensed as a whole by
its copyright holder, and can even be dual-licensed, as with any other
work.

Of course, such a distribution would be a derived work of all the
parts that comprise it, and any license granted for the distribution
would need to be compatible with all the licenses on the contributed
parts.

HTH, IANAL, TINLA, AYBABTU.

--
 \       "When I get new information, I change my position. What, sir, |
  `\          do you do with new information?"  -- John Maynard Keynes |