[linux-elitists] How do you...

Aleksandar Radulovic alex@a13x.net
Mon Apr 30 08:18:50 PDT 2007

Hi there,

On 4/18/07, Greg Folkert <greg@gregfolkert.net> wrote:
> I have been recently looking for new job/contract/etc.

I wish you good luck in finding a new job.

> Sure, I use OO.o and TexLive (TeTeX is dead). I make a perfect looking
> PDF using ghostscript or export it from OO.o. But then you say, save it
> as a word doc from OO.o. OO.o's "Save as Word 2K/XP/etc" screws heavily
> with the formatting.

Pardon my ignorance, but what kind of heavy formatting you use in your CV?
Even Writely (Google Docs) can handle custom formatting surprisingly well.
I've done my CV entirely in Writely and it looks (and exports/prints) great.

If you are forced (and you should never be forced) to send your CV in Word
format, consider simplifying the layout of your CV. The recruiters will probably
screw it up even more, so why bother with fancy layout and formatting?

On the plus side, "less is more" - neat and simple CVs look much more
professional
than fancy ones.

Regards,
alex.