[linux-elitists] Re: Resume document formats

Greg Folkert greg@gregfolkert.net
Fri Apr 20 20:12:29 PDT 2007

On Fri, 2007-04-20 at 10:17 -1000, Jim Thompson wrote:
> This whole thread reminds me strongly of, "Doctor, it hurts when I do
> this!"
>
> If the IT industry in your locale has changed (or left), you have a
> couple choices:
>
> a) move, follow the jobs
>     There may be reasons to stay where you are (aging parents, though
> my father turned 71 yesterday, and I live 3000 miles away.)

Please let me try to explain, family in my terms. My wife's father is 86
years old and my wife's mother is 79 years old. My parents, divorced
when I was 8, I lived with my mother. My Father Died at 58 from colon
cancer a few years ago. I only got to know him in the final months of
his life. My Mother married a wealthy globetrotter, I see her very
seldom, unless she wants to show me her new car. I value my wife's
parent much more than my own.

In any case, you want to compare family:
Is your father getting to the point where he is forgetting how to turn
off the TV or use his shaver or forgetting how to find his house if he
goes anywhere other than his wife's nursing home, the local grocery
store or church? Let alone becoming so grief stricken and lonely that
his wife had to go into a nursing home. She had to get admitted into
one, because she broke her femur and was already suffering from
Alzheimer's Syndrome and newly discovering it hurt every 15 seconds.

Jim FOFF, on this subject. You obviously don't care about your father or
he is financially well enough off to not have to worry about the
$6000/month costs for nursing homes that actually _do_ care for the
people living there.

> b) find a new job, possibly in a new field
>
>     There are many jobs in the 'trades' (electrician, plumber, welder)
> that pay well once you're past the 'journeyman' phase.   You might
> find these more interesting than sitting on your ass, and it might
> just be that the combination of your sysadmin skills and your new job
> makes you double-secure in your new job, since you'll shortly find
> yourself tending the office systems at your new employer, or the union
>  hall.

Yep, I am sure you live in a depressed area with 11-12% unemployment (it
is not just IT that is this bad). Where in these areas only temp
agencies have anything and are only temp, no "to hire" jobs or anything.
The unions have been seeing the ranks of unemployed due to cost cutting
measures sky rocket. Unions are causing much to the problem. And if
you've even read the whole thread, you'd know I came from those arenas
of skills. I have a journeyman's card in Mold Making. I also have
certifications (though "expired") in various Diesel Mechanics
disciplines.

>     You could always learn to program.  You might find that the
> combination of l33t sys-admin sk1lz and real competency with a
> real-world programming language puts you back in the market.  You
> might also find (as I have) that it suddenly doesn't matter where you
> live, since your customers are now world-wide.

Yes, I could always, learn to program. Yeah, and good system admin can
debug and fix wry code to get it to compile and install.

I write stuff in (posix)shell, python, Perl, not very "excellent" code,
but it does its job and is pretty much not subject to bugs across
versions. I don't use C, C++ or other compiled languages as they all
suck. Interpreted are not better, just that most interpreted languages
are at least readable.

You are right, I've done work around the globe as a consultant for the
last few years. All from the comfort of my home-office.

> c) sit and complain, and ask how you're going to comply with the
> requirement to format Word documents

Yep, you sure are an elitist Jim. Maybe if you took your dayglo-orange
blinders off, you'd see I've addressed your concerns about me being an
idiot.

I care deeply about my family and don't particularly want to not be able
to immediately deal with our families problems. That includes our 6
month old Grandson. I guess distance from family means nothing to you.
Western Michigan is heavily influenced by the Auto Industry and the
Office Furniture Industry. GM has a lot of facilities around here, as
well as many support companies. Steelcase, Haworth, Herman Miller are
the Majors in the Furniture Industry, they all are HQ'd with 20 miles of
me. The furniture industry STILL has not recovered from the initial
dot-com bomb fall out. I have a family across the street that works for
one, least amount of time there is 13 years right now. Anyone newer is
is employed by a temp agency.

Sit and Complain... no, I asked what others did. If I must, I will use
MS Windows under some form of VM and MS Office on that, if it comes down
to it. I'd just rather not sully myself.

You also seem to think that my, (how did you put it... oh yes) "l33t
sys-admin sk1lz" are laughable. Well, Jim, I am sorry you feel that way.
You also point out that with your "real competency" comment that by
programming I re-enter the "market". Well with no "real programming gigs
or results to show" behind me... that falls flat on its face. Ding,
ding.

As far as I am concerned Jim, you sort of sound like a certain Jack
Thompson that was recently gagged by Take Two interactive. And if you
must use your Elitism, please do so in a much better method, your
mail-client formats your e-mail horribly.

And Thanks for being "Captain Obvious Man", Jim. You've got me beat, I
succumb to your "obvious" Overlord intentions.
--
greg, greg@gregfolkert.net

the playfield. -- Thane Walkup