[linux-elitists] IT has no future! (was : How do you...)

Aaron Burt aaron@bavariati.org
Fri Apr 20 10:33:24 PDT 2007

On Fri, Apr 20, 2007 at 01:43:12AM -0400, Greg Folkert wrote:
> On Wed, 2007-04-18 at 17:35 +0200, Eugen Leitl wrote:
> > On Wed, Apr 18, 2007 at 11:32:14AM -0400, Greg Folkert wrote:
> >
> > > Bleh, IT has no future.
> >
> > I agree. What do you think has future?
>
> Working for Minimum wage with zero benefits?
>
> Or not working and losing my house, car(s), family. It is sort of like
> what drugs does to people. IT is like crack to me, I love to pieces.

Ah, a classic case of being a sysadmin.  See section 1.6 of:
http://www.faqs.org/faqs/sysadmin-recovery/

May you find Recovery in a way that lets you keep your house.

I doubt you were looking for suggestions, but you might consider
agricultural mechanics.  Gets you out of the city (and into the
pesticides.)  Many other trades are looking for apprentices anywhere
they can get them, and the wages aren't bad.  I've seriously considered
becoming an electrician, myself.

Still trying to become a power engineer,
  Aaron