[linux-elitists] Re: Resume document formats

Aaron Sherman ajs@ajs.com
Fri Apr 20 06:06:23 PDT 2007

Don Marti wrote:
> begin critch quotation of Thu, Apr 19, 2007 at 12:17:16AM -0500:
>

>> Let us hope not. If someone required a Word Doc, they are probably a
>> windows shop, so unlikely to use antiword when word is already
>> accessible.
>>

> Or they're messing up their ability to make the single
> most important kind of decision that the company can
> make by putting some "Human Resources" department or
> recruiting firm in the loop.  Insanity.

When you have a real need to staff up from the 100ish level to the
300-500ish level (as my company has done recently), you don't dare put
all of that burden on your most skilled employees. You do, however, have
those employees shepherd the process and help to frame the interaction
between HR and the prospective employees.

The problem is an organic one, however. Once the company reaches a
certain threshold of size, the priority of that interaction becomes less
clear, and it is easy to end up balkanizing your technical staff and
your HR folks (especially as hiring for non-technical support roles
becomes an equally important function).

> Much easier than dorking around with resume-grinding
> sites.

Resume-grinding is one thing, but keep in mind that there are some firms
where the ability to play nice with the non-technical folks is a first
and intentional hurdle, meant to weed out those who feel the
technological "purity" of their choices is more important than simply
doing what gets the job done.

I'm not defending that kind of organization, not making claims about
their success rate (we're not that type of shop), but I don't think they
can be discounted out-of-hand by lumping them in with the behemoths that
just want to check the "word doc resume" box so they can meet a quota,
either.