[linux-elitists] IT has no future! (was : How do you...)

Greg Folkert greg@gregfolkert.net
Thu Apr 19 22:43:12 PDT 2007

Preface:
I am not looking for sympathy, donations or anything of the sort. Just
airing my laundry, so to speak. Don't know if this is the right place,
or maybe shouldn't in any case.

I have nothing to hide anymore. Don't care ... skeletons be damned!

On Wed, 2007-04-18 at 17:35 +0200, Eugen Leitl wrote:
> On Wed, Apr 18, 2007 at 11:32:14AM -0400, Greg Folkert wrote:
>
> > Bleh, IT has no future.
>
> I agree. What do you think has future?

Working for Minimum wage with zero benefits?

Or not working and losing my house, car(s), family. It is sort of like
what drugs does to people. IT is like crack to me, I love to pieces. IT
and the Auto Industry driven cities and communities I live in and around
are driving me mad. I have familial commitments that are keeping me and
my family here for about another 5-10 years. (Parents are getting old
and need care)

I tried to get out of any industry that supported the Automotive
Industry, but alas I am trapped by it. The following is not a complete
record, just the highlights.

     1. Mold-Making (Tool and Die type of thing), laid-off indefinitely
        in One of the big cut-backs in the very-late 80's from the
        "reduction of similar vehicles" and the "rear-wheel drive is
        out" era, due to cost cutting. I was (might still be) a
        Journeyman Mold-maker.
     2. Diesel Mechanic, dirty and the pay really sucks. Certified
        Diesel Truck Mechanic, back then. Looked and found better work
        as #3
     3. Technical Service Representative for a company (purchased a few
        times, it was) that no longer exists due to being purchased and
        then summarily pieced out. Service tends to be one of those
        "things". Certified to work on Alpha systems, GEAC systems and
        many leased-line tele-comm setups. Netware was BIG! OSF/1 was
        awesome.
     4. Finally, Telecommunications Service Division Management^WHead.
        The company was bought 1 year into the job, an offer the
        owner(s) couldn't (or would have been crazy to) refuse. I was
        moved into the IS department as an Engineer/Admin/Analyst for
        the parent company. Not what I signed on for. Got my first
        letter from "real SCO" dismissing Linux as a hobbyist's OS here,
        1996ish. "real SCO" being way before the Darl-Monster or Ransom
        Love had anything to do with it.
     5. Higher Education IT was the next calling, very happy. Very
        bright cow-orkers. Management was mostly disconnected from
        reality. Mostly able to workaround it. A severance package, nee
        cost-reduction and off I went, pissed as I was. But able to do
        my own thing.
     6. Part-time (22-24 hours a week) Systems Analyst for reduced costs
        of insurance and other benefits. Rest of the time Consulting.
        Good pay, fun. Eventually (finally?) got out from situations
        restraining me in the part-time position.
     7. Went Full-time consulting last July. Economy falters badly in
        western Michigan, since. I've been gracious about sliding
        payments from clients in trouble. Ouchy, this one hurts.

#7 has been the sticker. I now have low income and high billed (and
owed) amounts, the slow payers are still slow (not)paying. But my
regulars are doing the belt-tightening, very little work right now.

Thus queuing, my attempt to get back into the work-force as an FTE or
contractor working FT. Consulting being the thing that scares most
prospective hiring companies.

So, maybe I'll just go work for Home-Depot or Wal*Mart or Target as a
lackey... forget about all this crap called "IT". I probably won't but
still.
--
greg, greg@gregfolkert.net

the playfield. -- Thane Walkup