Resume document formats (was: [linux-elitists] How do you...)

Don Marti dmarti@zgp.org
Thu Apr 19 22:28:16 PDT 2007

begin critch quotation of Thu, Apr 19, 2007 at 12:17:16AM -0500:

> Let us hope not. If someone required a Word Doc, they are probably a
> windows shop, so unlikely to use antiword when word is already
> accessible.

Or they're messing up their ability to make the single
most important kind of decision that the company can
make by putting some "Human Resources" department or
recruiting firm in the loop.  Insanity.

> Second, antiword is still hopelessly broken when documents undergo
> different revisions. A client of our clients thought it would be good to
> use antiword to convert the word docs they had delivered to them for
> incorporation into their system. They occasionally get a document that
> is at least 1 revision older than the file we sent them. Causes great
> screaming and yelling until we remind them why they see the problem
> again.

Isn't it a recipe for embarassment to send out
MS-Word docments without somehow sanitizing the change
history anyway?
  http://www.silicon.com/software/os/0,39024651,39118916,00.htm

I'd just like to put in a quick "yay, Abiword" here,
so: yay, AbiWord.  In my new job in the belly of
the Mainstream IT Media beast I'm seeing more word
processor documents than I think is really good for
a person, and there are quite a few documents that
AbiWord opens quickly that OpenOffice takes a long
time to load, then loads wrong.

(No, I haven't reported them as bugs, because the
contents have been confidential and I don't have a
copy of MS-Word to create same-format, public-data
clones.  Don't know what do to about this.)

Good to want to do alternate resume versions for
different job types.  In this situation I'd try
Abiword and just put up a password-protected directory
and ask some MS-Word licensee to try them out.

No wait, better idea.  Get somebody to pay _you_
to look for a job.

Find some IT Media editor and pitch an article
on "Getting a Linux Job the Web 2.0 Way: one IT
professional's day-by-day diary of the job search
of the future, today"   Get the editor to give
you an assignment -- send links to stuff you've
written on the web to show off that you can actually
write something.  Now you are no longer some dude
looking for a job, you're the Media, collecting
information _about_ how people get jobs in the New
Economy...no wait, "New Economy" was last bubble --
drop in a current buzzword.  Find one the editor uses
and use that.  (If you use the same words an editor
does, the editor thinks you're smart.  It's like mice
that produce the same scent chemicals prefer to hang
out together.  True science.)

Then do all the networking/information
exchange/reputation system hacking stuff you can
think of.  Get on all the social networking sites you
can stand, go to random technology and business events
(you're now the Media, so you can get into Chicken
Plucking Technology Expo '07 for free), do SEO on
your home page and resume, call up a bunch of people
who are experts in stuff that's somehow connected to
getting a job and ask them how The IT Professional
of the Future will do it.  Then do the stuff they
recommend, call the people who are experts in that,
and so on.  You end up with a published article to
your name and a bunch of job offers, and the people
at your new job start off being impressed with
you because you're an author and a Web 2.0 expert
and stuff.

Much easier than dorking around with resume-grinding
sites.

--
Don Marti
http://zgp.org/~dmarti/