Resume document formats (was: [linux-elitists] How do you...)

Brandon Edens brandon@cs.uri.edu
Wed Apr 18 17:14:31 PDT 2007

On Thu, Apr 19, 2007 at 09:45:02AM +1000, Ben Finney wrote:

> I'll let you in on a translation secret. When they say "Word format",
> what they mean is "a format that our automated keyword-mulching resume
> parsing system can consume".

> I conclude from this that their system doesn't care about the
> difference between "foo.doc is Word format" and "foo.doc is plain
> text", and neither do they.

brandon@gizmo ~ 1$ cat > yoyo.txt
Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipisicing elit, sed do eiusmod tempor incididunt ut labore et dolore magna aliqua. Ut enim ad minim veniam, quis nostrud exercitation ullamco laboris nisi ut aliquip ex ea commodo consequat. Duis aute irure dolor in reprehenderit in voluptate velit esse cillum dolore eu fugiat nulla pariatur. Excepteur sint occaecat cupidatat non proident, sunt in culpa qui officia deserunt mollit anim id est laborum.

Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipisicing elit, sed do eiusmod tempor incididunt ut labore et dolore magna aliqua. Ut enim ad minim veniam, quis nostrud exercitation ullamco laboris nisi ut aliquip ex ea commodo consequat. Duis aute irure dolor in reprehenderit in voluptate velit esse cillum dolore eu fugiat nulla pariatur. Excepteur sint occaecat cupidatat non proident, sunt in culpa qui officia deserunt mollit anim id est laborum.

brandon@gizmo ~ $ mv yoyo.txt yoyo.doc
brandon@gizmo ~ $ antiword yoyo.doc
yoyo.doc is not a Word Document.
brandon@gizmo ~ 1$ unix2dos yoyo.doc
unix2dos: converting file yoyo.doc to DOS format ...
brandon@gizmo ~ $ antiword yoyo.doc
yoyo.doc is not a Word Document.
brandon@gizmo ~ 1$ echo ":("
:(

Just wondered if they might've used antiword as part of their parser.

Brandon

--
Brandon Edens                                   brandon@cs.uri.edu
http://www.brandonedens.org