[linux-elitists] How do you...

Aaron Burt aaron@bavariati.org
Wed Apr 18 10:25:20 PDT 2007

On Wed, Apr 18, 2007 at 11:02:12AM -0400, Greg Folkert wrote:
> With the tools I have locally (not at the library), how do I make a
> proper *MS WORD* resume for the people that know no better?

I'm afraid I don't have an answer to the exact question you asked.

Yes, when dealing with HR catberts and pimp^H^H^H^Hrecruiters, you get a
lot of crap about that.  Like spammers, their intent is to offer their
employers the maximum number of eligible suck^H^H^H^Hcandidates with a
minimum of effort, preferrably by having others do much of the work.

My experience has been that (a) Word itself does not preserve formatting
very well, so (b) people don't expect it to, even though they'll gripe
about it and try to get you to "fix it" for them.  Meanwhile, (c) people
generally consider any file that ends in .DOC and opens legibly in Word
to be "Word format" and (d) installing MS fonts on your machine makes a
*big* difference in how formatting is preserved between OOo and Wurd.

In short, use Times New Roman, blame Word, and let the pimps do the work.

I'm sorry you live where the jobs aren't,
  Aaron