[linux-elitists] How do you...

Greg Folkert greg@gregfolkert.net
Wed Apr 18 08:32:14 PDT 2007

On Wed, 2007-04-18 at 16:11 +0100, Alan Pope wrote:
> On Wed, Apr 18, 2007 at 11:02:12AM -0400, Greg Folkert wrote:
> > So, it should come as no surprise, I am basically in a bad state as far
> > as generating quality "Word Format" Resumes. With the tools I have
> > locally (not at the library), how do I make a proper *MS WORD* resume
> > for the people that know no better?
>
> Writely? The web based online document editor?
>
> It appears to accept OO.o (.odt) documents in, and can spit word docs out.
>
> http://docs.google.com/

Not that I am complaing here, but did nobody understand "screws heavily
with the formatting"

Writely does the same thing. Saving as HTML or RTF does worse. First
impression and all that.

The market in Western Michigan (United states) is really tough right now
(11% - 12% IT unemployment)... working as a consultant doesn't bring in
the bacon as consistently as I'd like and I just got a notice that a 37%
increase of my insurance premium is effective starting June. I do a lot
of work, but recently client companies are in "slow pay mode" because
they are getting squeezed by the auto-industry and other industries that
are being kicked similarly.

As a result, my policy for companies that have long been normal pay (30
days net) have now become 50% pre-pay and 15 days net, with 1.25% per
period for penalty, after that. I have one company in bankruptcy
original amount owed $60K, now since they are 390+ day out, they are
owing $79K with all interest. I doubt I'll be getting $0.10 on the
dollar once they start the sell off.

Bleh, IT has no future.
--
greg, greg@gregfolkert.net