[linux-elitists] Homepage vs. Blog

glen martin glenm@locutory.org
Wed Apr 18 06:48:46 PDT 2007

Not intending to comment on the bulk of the discussion here, nor even
having time to look at the claimed homesite, I'll happily continue the
apparent trend of harassing minor points. ;)

Shlomi Fish wrote:
> Now, blogs were a later phenomenon. What a blog (also known as "public
> journal", "weblog", etc) is is:
> 1. A stream of posts on certain topic, ordered by date.

Ordered by date, yes, but I don't know that blogs must have a single
certain topic. More commonly a blog will reflect whatever someone has
been thinking about. Sadly, many blogs are about things someone has
encountered and not even thought about.

Where bloggers want to befriend an audience, they might organize the
blog content with category filters. That way my RSS reader can present
the subset of posts on the topic I care about, eg sendmail not dead
cats.  I have a few categories in my blog, hoping to separate my posts
about politics from tech from biz models, as a courtesy.

> 3. Should have comments. I left Advogato from this reason among else.

This is key for me and many others.  I recall when Martin Fink started
his supposed blog he was soundly walloped about it being a flat html
page formatted to look like a blog, but clearly published by his web
design team and not supporting comments.

Now, from time to time I turn comments off on my blog ...
comment-spammers get the better of my intentions. A few days later I'll
turn them back on, after the current category 5 storm has passed.

Blog is, I think, about function, not form. A list of corporate press
releases is organized by date and probably topic, but that doesn't make
it a blog. Were some progressive but risk-junkie company to permit
comments on their press releases (amusing thought, that), ... I might
think about it differently.

glen