[linux-elitists] Homepage vs. Blog

Shlomi Fish shlomif@iglu.org.il
Wed Apr 18 03:28:08 PDT 2007

Hi Mr. Lesher!

Thanks for your email. I just want to keep the record straight about my
homesite.

On Wednesday 18 April 2007, Tilghman Lesher wrote:
> On Wednesday 18 April 2007, Shlomi Fish wrote:

> > > <snip>
> > >
> > > I give most folks the benefit of the doubt, so last time you did
> > > something like this, I very carefully did not point out that you
> > > appeared to be whoring your blog by trolling this list with blind
> > > items.
> >
> > 1. http://www.shlomifish.org/ is not a "blog" of mine - it's my home
> > site. My blogs are:
> >
> > http://www.shlomifish.org/me/blogs/
>
> Whether you categorize it as a blog or not, it still is.  Just because it's
> better organized than the average blog doesn't make it any less a log of
> your thoughts at a particular time, posted to the web.

Just to keep the record's straight: as you may know since the Internet boom
circa 1996, many people started their own personal web sites. These sites
were called "homepages", or later-on "homesites" (which is the word that I
prefer because homepage is just one page).

Now, blogs were a later phenomenon. What a blog (also known as "public
journal", "weblog", etc) is is:

1. A stream of posts on certain topic, ordered by date.

2. Usually has an RSS feed.

3. Should have comments. I left Advogato from this reason among else.

4. Normally either personal, random or dedicaed to a certain topic.

5. Usually flat and non-hierarchical.

Now my homesite on the other hand, and several other homesites as well is:

1. Organised in a tree. The top categories are

	A. "About myself"
	B. "Humour" (actually many writings, some of which too long to fit into a
	   blog entry).
	C. Puzzles.
	D. Computer Art - images I created with explanation how I created them. (I'm
	   not much of an artist, but it may still have some value).
	E. Software - home pages for resources about my software projects. Also
           contains some documents and resources, pages where I criticise some
	   bad software, and some of my old DOS-era programs.
	F. Presetnations - mostly about computers. Normally span more than one HTML
           page.
	G. Essays - written in HTML or DocBook/XML, they are also organised in a
	   hierarchy and updated. I admit that they have been the focus of most of my
           concentration now.
	H. Links, recommendations, a site map, a FAQ, information on building
           the site from sources, call for help, etc.

2. Has a central navigation menu and sub navigation menus. Most blogs are flat
or at most have tags which are completely different.

3. Has many resources that are not normally present in blogs. How many times
have you seen a full 10K word story posted to a blog? Or pages that only
contain links.

4. Many of the pages there are constantly updated. A blog entry normally
remains mostly static after a while, while my the pages of my homesite are
very dynamic.

5. There are no comments in any of the pages. It's a static HTML site. Had it
been a blog, I would have made sure to give a nested comments facility. I
admit that I often post a notice about them to mailing lists, news sites, web
forums, etc. But they are not blog entries.

-----------------------

As I told you, I do have some weblogs, and write in them often. But my home
site is a completely different and much more impressive beast.

So I guess that you have been trolled.

> Note that this would be different altogether if someone (else) had posted a
> relevant news article and you had commented by pointing to your anti-Apple
> page.  Then you would have some relevant commentary, not shameless self-
> promotion.

Shameless self-promotion may not necessarily bad. And I was not trying to
promote it, I was trying to get some help with it, hear opinions and/or start
an interesting discussion.

A few other things I worked on recently, which you may find interesting are:

http://www.shlomifish.org/philosophy/computers/education/introductory-language/

http://www.shlomifish.org/philosophy/computers/education/opinion-on-the-technion/

They may be more on topic here.

Regards,