[linux-elitists] Re: My Anti-Apple Page

Tilghman Lesher zgp-org@the-tilghman.com
Wed Apr 18 01:01:32 PDT 2007

On Wednesday 18 April 2007, Shlomi Fish wrote:
> On Wednesday 18 April 2007, Aaron Burt wrote:
> > On Tue, Apr 17, 2007 at 10:47:03AM +0300, Shlomi Fish wrote:
> > > Hi all!
> > >
> > > I remember we had a lot of fun discussing my anti-qmail page. Now you
> > > might want to discuss this:
> >
> > <snip>
> >
> > I give most folks the benefit of the doubt, so last time you did
> > something like this, I very carefully did not point out that you
> > appeared to be whoring your blog by trolling this list with blind items.
>
> 1. http://www.shlomifish.org/ is not a "blog" of mine - it's my home site.
> My blogs are:
>
> http://www.shlomifish.org/me/blogs/

Whether you categorize it as a blog or not, it still is.  Just because it's
better organized than the average blog doesn't make it any less a log of your
thoughts at a particular time, posted to the web.

Note that this would be different altogether if someone (else) had posted a
relevant news article and you had commented by pointing to your anti-Apple
page.  Then you would have some relevant commentary, not shameless self-
promotion.

> And for the record, I believe a page against Apple and Mac OS X is on-topic
> here. Some people believe OS X is superior to Linux, and if we point them
> that Apple and Mac OS X are as bad as MS if not worse, we can win a lot of
> market share.

Bad, how?  Many of the people running OS X are doing so because the
interface is well thought-out, not because Apple is a "nice" company.  While
I would agree with this sentiment in the most general case, there are
significant portions of the Linux OS, and in particular, KDE, which I find to
be better designed and/or more functional than the OS X counterpart, which
is why Linux is my primary desktop.  However, when it comes to my portable
environment, a MacBook running OS X is preferable (even though I'm running
Linux under OS X, under emulation), mostly because the wireless tools and
battery management are better.  When I feel those issues are satisfied, I'll
probably switch back to a Linux-based laptop, but not before.

If you believe that winning market share is of the slightest importance to the
average Linux elitist, you've already lost the argument.

-Tilghman