[linux-elitists] New Essay: The Linus Torvalds Bus Factor

Greg Folkert greg@gregfolkert.net
Thu Apr 5 10:17:49 PDT 2007

On Thu, 2007-04-05 at 10:02 -0700, Aaron Burt wrote:
> On Thu, Apr 05, 2007 at 02:44:31PM +0300, Shlomi Fish wrote:
> > Hi all!
> >
> > It was deemed off-topic and flamatory on LKML after I posted it, but I think
> > that's what linux-elitists is all about, so feel free to read and comment:
> >
> > http://shlomif.livejournal.com/41088.html
>
> Feh.  We did this gendankenexperiment 7 years ago:
> http://www.crummy.com/writing/segfault.org/Bus.html
>
> Every project has its central figures.  What if Ballmer got hit by a bus?
> Would the bus be drivable?  Would any passengers get hurt?

Can we ... umm set this up to happen? I'd even be willing to sacrifice a
bus-load or more of lawyers and two or more buses. Hmmm, maybe a similar
plan of action for Darl McBride and crew?

> > You can either comment on my blog or here. (Just make sure not to CC anyone
> > else or the E-mail software will reject it.) I'll try to read all the
> > comments.
>
> [Elided: mean comment about blog promotion]
>
> > Even if you disagree with it, it is my not-so-humble opinion that you will
> > find it amusing.
>
> Not really.  I read, "Linus is doing an amazingly good job as Boss of
> Linux, even to the point of making sure others can take over if
> necessary.  So he should quit."

Exactly, it might just slow Linux down for a short time. Wouldn't halt
it at all.
--
greg, greg@gregfolkert.net

the playfield. -- Thane Walkup