[linux-elitists] The GPLV3 Position... (and a suggestion to Jon Corbet)

Nathaniel Smith njs@pobox.com
Tue Sep 26 18:18:06 PDT 2006

On Tue, Sep 26, 2006 at 02:17:14PM -0700, glen martin wrote:
> So how does this work in the case of projects that have received
> contributions?  v2 p9 sets up a scheme via which redistributors might
> license works under the current or subsequent versions of GPL, if so
> permitted by the original contributor. Or should that be 'contributors'?
> If I contributed to gcc, can FSF relicense it without my permission?

Yes, because you already gave them that permission when you submitted
your code for inclusion in a "GPLv2 or later" project.

(Well, also when you signed the copyright assignment form that's
required of gcc contributors.  But from the rest of your paragraph I'm
assuming you're actually talking about some hypothetical project that
has multiple copyright holders.)

-- Nathaniel

--
Details are all that matters; God dwells there, and you never get to
see Him if you don't struggle to get them right. -- Stephen Jay Gould