[linux-elitists] Re: The GPLV3 Position... (and a suggestion to Jon Corbet)

Jeremy Hankins nowan@nowan.org
Tue Sep 26 06:36:33 PDT 2006

Jeff Waugh <jdub@perkypants.org> writes:
> <quote who="Jeremy Hankins">

>> Disclaimer: I'm not speaking specifically about the GPLv3 drafts, as
>> I've mostly gotten disgusted with the process and stopped following
>> it.
>
> This is the thing that surprises me most: How on Earth did you find
> yourself "disgusted with the process"? I've been gobsmacked by how
> well this has been run, and how much input has been received,
> considered and in surprisingly many cases, actioned. FLOSS *code*
> projects don't pay this much attention to their constituencies,
> related businesses, etc...

That's a fair point.  Perhaps it'd be more fair to say that I've gotten
tired of the process -- especially coming so soon after the whole GFDL
business.

On the other hand, a change in the direction of your average FLOSS code
project can be much more readily ignored than a new and significantly
different version of the GPL.  The FSF sets itself up as an organization
with broader and more community oriented interests than your average
coding project.  To expect it to adhere to higher standards of
transparency and responsiveness is only reasonable.

--
Jeremy Hankins <nowan@nowan.org>