[linux-elitists] The GPLV3 Position... (and a suggestion to Jon Corbet)

Tom Clark tclark@requisitesystems.com
Mon Sep 25 21:14:16 PDT 2006

On Mon, 2006-09-25 at 20:51 -0700, Greg KH wrote:
> The GPL is not about the user, it's about the developer.

Not true.  The GPL is clearly about the user.  From the preamble,
"...the GNU General Public License is intended to guarantee your freedom
to share and change free software--to make sure the software is free for
all its users."

> If you use my
> code and modify it, you are forced to give me those changes back.

Again, not true.  If I use your code and modify it, and if I then
distribute it, then I "must give the recipients all the rights that [I]
have."

In practice, I may expect that you would get the changes, and I would
want you to get them, but the GPL does not say that I have to track you
down and make sure that you get them.

tclark