[linux-elitists] Getting a new USB devices to work with {Favorite} LInux distribution.

critch le@drunkenlogic.com
Tue Sep 12 11:44:58 PDT 2006

On Tue, 2006-09-12 at 10:03 -0400, Greg Folkert wrote:
> On Tue, 2006-09-12 at 08:05 -0500, critch wrote:
> > On Tue, 2006-09-12 at 08:47 -0400, Greg Folkert wrote:
> > > This is aimed at a target audience that include LE and really certain
> > > subscribers to it.
> > >
> > > I having sound mind and judgment (please don't deny me me fantasy), have
> > > purchased an MP3/"PlaysForSure"/OtherMedia/Picture/Video player. A
> > > Sandisk Sansa e250. 2GB iPod Nano killer. Yes, I like it barring 2
> > > things.
> > >
> > >      1. The menu navigation scroll ring doesn't slide as nicely as one
> > >         would expect. But that should change through use.
> > >      2. Linux Distributions I have tried, see it. Just don't know how to
> > >         address it or speak to it. Having 2 modes MTP (Media Transfer
> > >         Protocol) and MSC (Mass Storage Class).
> > >
> > > Just to clarify, Windows Media Player (with "Playforsure" Rights
> > > Management) requires the use of MTP. SO, I am guessing the preferred
> > > mode for use with Linux would be MSC. At least I hope that is a good
> > > guess.
> >
> > As MSC, it is the same as any other mass storage device such as a usb
> > flash card reader. There is nothing special to do for it. Drop mp3 files
> > anywhere and the firmware finds it just fine.
>
> Yes, I understand this, but I guess I should have been a bit more clear.
> The USB-IDs that are from linux-usb.sf.net don't currently have this
> device in it. So, it doesn't come up on the Desktop like it should. In
> fact, the three Linux machine I have direct access to at home right now,
> (Ubuntu Dapper (Laptop), Debian Sid (Desktop), ~~Shudder~~ FC5
> (Desktop)) all fail to put an ICON on my GNOME Desktop.

I guess I should have pointed out that it does put the icon on my gnome
desktop all automagically. I am running the unstable version of Debian,
2.6.15.4 kernel that I compiled for this hardware but without any
patches. I kind of rely on that as I have soundconvert configured to put
files in the location it automounts. I need to use soundconverter as I
buy all my music in OGG format and right now can't play OGGs on the
Sansa.

> > Trouble I have had with the 4gig version is that when you delete files
> > from the device, I haven't been able to reclaim the full space. After
> > filling it with some mp3 files and then deleteing some of them, I was
> > left with 2 gig of space available. Haven't done much diagnosis yet, but
> > am highly upset about the lack of space.
>
> If you use GNOME, that pesky .Trash-username (etc..) is still there. Try
> emptying trash with it mounted.

I'll recheck that, but I think I already made sure that was removed. I
was going on a long trip so I wanted the most space available. Before I
tried to delete files, I had traveled 2800 miles on my motorcycle
listeneing to the files I had loaded on it.
--
critch <le@drunkenlogic.com>