[linux-elitists] Getting a new USB devices to work with {Favorite} LInux distribution.

Greg KH greg@kroah.com
Tue Sep 12 08:12:59 PDT 2006

On Tue, Sep 12, 2006 at 10:03:59AM -0400, Greg Folkert wrote:
> Yes, I understand this, but I guess I should have been a bit more clear.
> The USB-IDs that are from linux-usb.sf.net don't currently have this
> device in it.

So?

> So, it doesn't come up on the Desktop like it should.

The device id list have nothing to do with that.

> In
> fact, the three Linux machine I have direct access to at home right now,
> (Ubuntu Dapper (Laptop), Debian Sid (Desktop), ~~Shudder~~ FC5
> (Desktop)) all fail to put an ICON on my GNOME Desktop.
>
> I see plenty of log messages, but no assignment of a USB storage related
> stuff. even with usb-storage loaded (which it is as I use SD cards for
> photos on all three machine).

Try reading the linux usb guide at www.linux-usb.org and then send the
output of /proc/bus/usb/devices to the linux-usb-users mailing list to
as for help.

> I want this to be a no brainer for my 13 year-old to use, as she has no
> patience for "the work arounds" to get it mounted and un-mounted safely.
> It why she wanted "Windows" and used an iPod Nano and insisted she get
> one... last I checked that machine it comes up and somewhere between 20
> seconds and 200 seconds it just shuts off. Scanned it and I have found
> over 300K of spyware and malware instances on it... therefore iTunes is
> Not Available. Relenting does not come easy to her, nor does admitting
> that Dad was correct.

ipods work just fine on Linux.  Use that instead then :)

> Upon the epiphany of why I did not want her to get an iPod ANYTHING, she
> now has put the pressure on me to deliver a Linux machine with this MP3
> player and eMusic as the music buying location. I also have a few ...
> ahem ... hundreds of GB ripped and encoded music, that she also wants to
> be able to play. iTunes choked on that massive amount of music... 36,000
> files.
>
> So the task gauntlet has been set.

Buy a device that is sane then.  Lots of them are just usb-storage
devices and work just fine.  This one might not.

In short, take it to linux-usb-users, that's the proper place for this.

good luck,

greg k-h