[linux-elitists] Getting a new USB devices to work with {Favorite} LInux distribution.

Greg Folkert greg@gregfolkert.net
Tue Sep 12 07:16:49 PDT 2006

On Tue, 2006-09-12 at 07:01 -0600, Jonathan Corbet wrote:
> Greg Folkert <greg@gregfolkert.net> wrote:
>
> > What would one need to do to get this device (device class from Sandisk)
> > to be recognized by udev, hal, usb-id, freedesktop... etc,
> > automagically?
>
> Put Rockbox on it!  You'll never look back, and you don't need all that
> Windows DRM stuff anyway.
>
> There's just this little detail that the Sansa port is some distance
> from being ready for prime time yet...not sure it can actually play
> music at this point...but it's going to be cool.

        Rockbox Port
        Sandisk Sansa E200
        A port for the Sandisk Sansa E200 is being started by
        DanielStenberg. It is still very early, we don't even know how
        to use the LCD, access flash or read buttons. Help on this is
        appreciated!

That would indicate, that yeah it has a few rough edges yet. Ha, good
for a laugh. But the idea is excellent.

> Meanwhile, if it does mass storage, it really should Just Work.  You
> should see a disk drive which you can mount and mess with.  Depending on
> your distribution, it may throw windows at you to this effect, or you
> might have to mount it yourself.

Not quite where it needs to be right his minute. The whole freedesktop
and udev and usb-ids and this that an the other thing doesn't want to
work proper. No /dev/sd* ever gets assigned on the three distros I have
in use here. Therefore nothing ever gets to the desktop.

And if you'll look at the message I replied back to critch... you'll see
my motivation for this.

Rockbox while nice, is far from being able to help me now. In any case,
I'd need to purchase another e200 so I could help. Money being all tight
and stuff, I hope you can see my problem right now.
--
greg, greg@gregfolkert.net

The technology that is
Stronger, better, faster:  Linux