[linux-elitists] Getting a new USB devices to work with {Favorite} LInux distribution.

critch le@drunkenlogic.com
Tue Sep 12 06:05:21 PDT 2006

On Tue, 2006-09-12 at 08:47 -0400, Greg Folkert wrote:
> This is aimed at a target audience that include LE and really certain
> subscribers to it.
>
> I having sound mind and judgment (please don't deny me me fantasy), have
> purchased an MP3/"PlaysForSure"/OtherMedia/Picture/Video player. A
> Sandisk Sansa e250. 2GB iPod Nano killer. Yes, I like it barring 2
> things.
>
>      1. The menu navigation scroll ring doesn't slide as nicely as one
>         would expect. But that should change through use.
>      2. Linux Distributions I have tried, see it. Just don't know how to
>         address it or speak to it. Having 2 modes MTP (Media Transfer
>         Protocol) and MSC (Mass Storage Class).
>
> Just to clarify, Windows Media Player (with "Playforsure" Rights
> Management) requires the use of MTP. SO, I am guessing the preferred
> mode for use with Linux would be MSC. At least I hope that is a good
> guess.

As MSC, it is the same as any other mass storage device such as a usb
flash card reader. There is nothing special to do for it. Drop mp3 files
anywhere and the firmware finds it just fine.

Trouble I have had with the 4gig version is that when you delete files
from the device, I haven't been able to reclaim the full space. After
filling it with some mp3 files and then deleteing some of them, I was
left with 2 gig of space available. Haven't done much diagnosis yet, but
am highly upset about the lack of space.
--
critch <le@drunkenlogic.com>