[jim@netgate.com: Re: [linux-elitists] Free HAL for Atheros on Linux?]

Jim Thompson jim@netgate.com
Wed Nov 22 11:44:30 PST 2006

On Nov 15, 2006, at 12:13 PM, Don Marti wrote:

>> ----- Forwarded message from Jim Thompson <jim@netgate.com> -----
>>
>> Its not free, its a rip-off, (read copyright infringement) and I can
>> prove it (we're an atheros licensee), but I've been asked by Atheros
>> to keep it mum for now.
>>
>> ----- End forwarded message -----
>
> Softwarefreedom.org now says otherwise:
> http://lwn.net/Articles/209472/

Yes, I saw this.

You will note that they didn't actually:

a) contact Atheros, or
b) look at the source code

So what they've said, essentially, is that "if what Ryek says is
true, then the ar5k driver is clean".

Of course, SFLC didn't offer this opinion to the public, either.
(The public is not SFLC's client.)

> Pretty impressive list of people signing off on this, if you look
> at their contact list:
> http://www.softwarefreedom.org/team.html

I think you perhaps over-read what was said.

I've been in contact with Prof Moglen and Prof Lessig.   I won't say
more here.

Jim