[linux-elitists] Heise covers Greg K-H

Greg KH greg@kroah.com
Mon Mar 6 09:23:32 PST 2006

On Sun, Mar 05, 2006 at 09:16:15PM -0800, Dan Martinez wrote:
> Bob Bernstein wrote:
>
> > Hmm...the 'auf Englisch' link seems to have eluded me. But then surely
> > it eluded many others, yes?
> >
> > Anybody got a translation?
>
> Here's a stab:
>
> -----
>
> Novell has announced that Suse Linux will, in future, no longer
> contain any proprietary drivers. This affects not only Suse Linux
> 10.1, developed under the openSUSE project and currently in beta
> testing, but also the forthcoming Version 10 of Suse Linux Enterprise
> Server (SLES) and the Novell Linux Desktop (NLD). The option of using
> the Suse-specific update mechanism to load closed-source modules such
> as nVidia's graphics drivers will likewise fall by the wayside.
> Proprietary firmware, as loaded by some drivers (such as the Centrino
> WLAN driver) will, however, remain supported. With these changes,
> Novell wishes to take into account the concerns of those kernel
> developers who have, for fundamental or technical reasons, spoken out
> against proprietary drivers
>
> The company is, however, already working on a solution with the
> vendors which will allow users to operate hardware for which only
> proprietary Linux drivers exist. The plan calls for a mechanism
> whereby users can simply find and activate vendor-provided
> installation and update sources. In addition, Novell supports the
> manufacturers in the development of open-source drivers, as well as
> the relocation of binary components to userspace or firmware files.

The original notice can be found at:
	http://lists.opensuse.org/archive/opensuse-announce/2006-Feb/0004.html

which states:
	Most developers of the kernel community consider non-GPL kernel
	modules to be infringing on their copyright. Novell does respect
	this position, and will no longer distribute non-GPL kernel
	modules as part of future products. Novell is working with
	vendors to find alternative ways to provide the functionality
	that was previously only available with non-GPL kernel modules.

thanks,

greg k-h