[linux-elitists] I agreed not to help you, can you help me?

Greg Folkert greg@gregfolkert.net
Wed Jun 14 07:08:41 PDT 2006

On Tue, 2006-06-13 at 18:40 +0200, Eugen Leitl wrote:
> On Tue, Jun 13, 2006 at 09:24:17AM -0700, Greg KH wrote:
>
> > Yes, you dropped that, but in order for XGL/Compiz to run on an nVidia
> > chip, you need to run the closed source kernel driver.  So it is
>
> Actually, no, I didn't. This is the first piece of actual info in
> this thread. I now see that

}}} From Gene's Original message seen on this list at:
}}} Tue, 30 May 2006 17:09:52 +0200  (11:09 EDT)
}}} > Has anyone here been running XGL/Compiz (nvidia binary
}}} > drivers) with dual-head (1280x1024 each) on Dapper Drake
}}} > candidates? Encountered any grief in the process?

So, how are we supposed to have taken "nvidia binary drivers"? It was
actually  bespoken (betypen?) at that point. Most, if not everyone,
understood or got the inference of that... in any case.

> http://en.opensuse.org/Xgl_Troubleshooting#NVIDIA_.2F_open_source_driver_.22nv.22
>
> "Does not support 3D acceleration at all. Xgl will not work well
> with software emulation, refrain from using this combination."
> which answers my question "does it blow?" in the affirmative.
>
> > implied, and known, even by you, so don't try to hide that.
>
> Thanks for the condescension, but no thanks.

Its true. You should thank him for his patronizing.

> > Then I'm sorry, I'm not going to offer up any help, for the very reasons
> > outlined by Don's original reply, and I doubt anyone else will either,
> > which is the main point of this portion of the thread.
>
> I think the main point of this thread is something else entirely,
> and quite visible to anyone who comes across the list archive. I also got
> that message just fine. Again: thanks, but no thanks. Have fun
> tilting at windmills.

There is a reason it is called "Linux Elitists"

How much more Elitism can we have? None more Elitism.
--
greg, greg@gregfolkert.net

The technology that is
Stronger, Better, Faster: Linux

Use Debian GNU/Linux, its a bazaar thing

NOTICE: Due to Presidential Executive Orders, the
National Security Agency may have read this email
without warning, warrant, or notice, and certainly
without probable cause. They may do this without
any judicial or legislative oversight. You have no
recourse nor protection.