[linux-elitists] Did anybody miss the listserver while it was down?

Rick Moen rick@linuxmafia.com
Tue Jun 13 23:03:58 PDT 2006

Quoting Bob Bernstein (rs@bernstein.providence.ri.us):

> After an absence of almost a year (from running NetBSD), I have just
> installed nbsd 3.0, and when I sync'd it to -current, I was surprised
> to find that sendmail has been thrown out of NetBSD's base
> distribution, in favor of postfix. Not sure why. I have some catching
> up to do.

A highly reasonable choice, if somewhat surprising:  Switching
MTAs tends to be painful enough that it's not done without shooting 100% of
existing sysadmins among the userbase, first.

> Also, OpenBSD's pf packet filter has been brought *in* to the NetBSD
> base distribution! When I suggested a few years ago that NetBSD
> support the OpenBSD project to provide an alternative to Darren Reed's
> ipf, my head was rather decidedly handed to me by the nbsd true
> believers. There was talk of a fatwa.
>
> Maybe this is old news to ALL OF YOU.

It's new news, and interesting.  (Thanks.)  What's not entirely news is
that pf got very good, very quickly; evidently the right people noticed.