[linux-elitists] Recommended Workstation Hardware

Dave dave@lab6.com
Tue Jun 13 13:45:15 PDT 2006

On 13/06/06, Paul Collins <paul@briny.ondioline.org> wrote:

> My last desktop had a 128MB 9200 in it (r200-based, less capable than
> the 8500) and it worked well.

I saw the 9200 was the last r200 based card, and found it confusing
that it was less capable, so thanks for confirming this :-)

On 13/06/06, Chris Ball <cjb@mrao.cam.ac.uk> wrote:
> >> On Tue, 13 Jun 2006 17:28:51 +0100, Dave <dave@lab6.com> said:
>
>    > Hi, Relating to the recent topics... I'm considering what I should
>    > buy for myself as a new GNU/Linux workstation next month. I want to
>    > use 100% Free Software.
>
> You don't mention whether having fast 3D graphics is important to you;

Ah yes, good call.

Fast 3D graphics for games isn't important, I want nice compiz effects :-)

> if you aren't interested in games, you might want to consider finding a
> motherboard with an Intel GMA950 chip on -- I have one in my laptop, and
> it runs compiz and the rest of the latest desktop shininess just fine.
> And, of course, you get to help support the market for graphics cards
> without secret specifications.

I think Dell do Intel onboard boxen, so I'll do a UK price comparison
between the cr.yp.to suggestions and a similar Dell when I get round
to properly sorting this in a couple of weeks.

> Just a suggestion.

Gratefully received! :-)

--
Regards,