[linux-elitists] Recommended Workstation Hardware

Seth David Schoen schoen@loyalty.org
Tue Jun 13 12:19:17 PDT 2006

Don Marti writes:

> begin Seth David Schoen quotation of Tue, Jun 13, 2006 at 06:40:08PM +0100:
> > Paul Collins writes:
> > > My last desktop had a 128MB 9200 (also r200-based, less capable than
> > > the 8500) and it worked well.
> >
> > I have that also, and it is a success for playing StepMania (which is
> > the whole reason I got the card).  I keep meaning to write up a document
> > about how to play DDR with free software.  (But what we really need is
> > a culture and infrastructure under which skilled simfile authors can
> > get paid cash by fans to write choreography under free licenses.)
>
> If I said, "6,227,968" would that make you a willful
> infringer?  Because if it would, I won't.

The number of legal misconceptions in

http://ddr.ddrfreak.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=95291

is startling and alarming, but I never knew about the patent coverage.

You might be aware of the Konami litigation against the developers of In
The Groove, which does include some patent claims, although I don't
think they appeared to be at the core of the litigation.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/In_The_Groove_(game)#Lawsuit

The DDR machine on the movie theater level at the Metreon has been
modified with an ITG kit like the one challenged by the litigation.

--
Seth David Schoen <schoen@loyalty.org> | This is a new focus for the security
     http://www.loyalty.org/~schoen/   | community. The actual user of the PC