[linux-elitists] Recommended Workstation Hardware

Chris Ball cjb@mrao.cam.ac.uk
Tue Jun 13 10:35:28 PDT 2006

>> On Tue, 13 Jun 2006 17:28:51 +0100, Dave <dave@lab6.com> said:

   > Hi, Relating to the recent topics... I'm considering what I should
   > buy for myself as a new GNU/Linux workstation next month. I want to
   > use 100% Free Software.

You don't mention whether having fast 3D graphics is important to you;
if you aren't interested in games, you might want to consider finding a
motherboard with an Intel GMA950 chip on -- I have one in my laptop, and
it runs compiz and the rest of the latest desktop shininess just fine.
And, of course, you get to help support the market for graphics cards
without secret specifications.

Just a suggestion.  I'm really pleased with compiz; at a talk I gave a
few weeks ago one of the attendees presumed I was using OS X to present,
given the cube-rotating between desktops I was doing.  Nice to be able
to show people that it's not just OS X that can look pretty!

- Chris.
--
Chris Ball   <cjb@mrao.cam.ac.uk>    <http://blog.printf.net/>