[linux-elitists] Recommended Workstation Hardware

Seth David Schoen schoen@loyalty.org
Tue Jun 13 10:40:08 PDT 2006

Paul Collins writes:

> Dave <dave@lab6.com> writes:
>
> > What workstation graphics card is recommended?
> >
> > Is it an 'Radeon 8500 128MB' from eBay? (Apparently the fastest r200
> > based card according to http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Radeon_R200)
>
> My last desktop had a 128MB 9200 (also r200-based, less capable than
> the 8500) and it worked well.

I have that also, and it is a success for playing StepMania (which is
the whole reason I got the card).  I keep meaning to write up a document
about how to play DDR with free software.  (But what we really need is
a culture and infrastructure under which skilled simfile authors can
get paid cash by fans to write choreography under free licenses.)

--
Seth David Schoen <schoen@loyalty.org> | This is a new focus for the security
     http://www.loyalty.org/~schoen/   | community. The actual user of the PC