[linux-elitists] I agreed not to help you, can you help me?

Paul Collins paul@briny.ondioline.org
Tue Jun 13 09:55:52 PDT 2006

Eugen Leitl <eugen@leitl.org> writes:

> On Tue, Jun 13, 2006 at 09:24:17AM -0700, Greg KH wrote:
>
>> Yes, you dropped that, but in order for XGL/Compiz to run on an nVidia
>> chip, you need to run the closed source kernel driver.  So it is
>
> Actually, no, I didn't. This is the first piece of actual info in
> this thread. I now see that
>
> http://en.opensuse.org/Xgl_Troubleshooting#NVIDIA_.2F_open_source_driver_.22nv.22
>
> "Does not support 3D acceleration at all. Xgl will not work well
> with software emulation, refrain from using this combination."
> which answers my question "does it blow?" in the affirmative.

There's work being done to reverse-engineer nVidia's GPUs, but it's
barely begun.

http://nouveau.freedesktop.org/wiki/RequiredFunctionality

--
Paul Collins
Melbourne, Australia

Dag vijandelijk luchtschip de huismeester is dood