[linux-elitists] I agreed not to help you, can you help me?

Eugen Leitl eugen@leitl.org
Tue Jun 13 09:40:57 PDT 2006

On Tue, Jun 13, 2006 at 09:24:17AM -0700, Greg KH wrote:

> Yes, you dropped that, but in order for XGL/Compiz to run on an nVidia
> chip, you need to run the closed source kernel driver.  So it is

Actually, no, I didn't. This is the first piece of actual info in
this thread. I now see that

http://en.opensuse.org/Xgl_Troubleshooting#NVIDIA_.2F_open_source_driver_.22nv.22

"Does not support 3D acceleration at all. Xgl will not work well
with software emulation, refrain from using this combination."
which answers my question "does it blow?" in the affirmative.

> implied, and known, even by you, so don't try to hide that.

Thanks for the condescension, but no thanks.

> Then I'm sorry, I'm not going to offer up any help, for the very reasons
> outlined by Don's original reply, and I doubt anyone else will either,
> which is the main point of this portion of the thread.

I think the main point of this thread is something else entirely,
and quite visible to anyone who comes across the list archive. I also got
that message just fine. Again: thanks, but no thanks. Have fun
tilting at windmills.