[linux-elitists] I agreed not to help you, can you help me?

Greg KH greg@kroah.com
Tue Jun 13 09:24:17 PDT 2006

On Tue, Jun 13, 2006 at 05:46:03PM +0200, Eugen Leitl wrote:
> On Tue, Jun 13, 2006 at 08:09:18AM -0700, Greg KH wrote:
> > On Tue, Jun 13, 2006 at 01:44:05PM +0200, Eugen Leitl wrote:
> > > So I repeat my question: is anyone here running XGL/Compiz on Dapper Drake,
> > > x86_64? Dual-head xinerama 1280x1024 on an nVidia, especially?
> > >
> > > a) does it run?
> > > b) does it suck?
> > > c) if it does suck, how?
> >
> > It sucks because you are using a closed source kernel driver that is
>
> Reread my question.
>
> Where in the above do you see a single mention of a closed source kernel
> driver? Hint: there isn't any. I dropped that part of the question
> a while ago. None of you noticed.

Yes, you dropped that, but in order for XGL/Compiz to run on an nVidia
chip, you need to run the closed source kernel driver.  So it is
implied, and known, even by you, so don't try to hide that.

> > larger than the entire rest of your kernel combined, causing it to
> > become completly unsupported and forcing _you_ to violate the GPL and go
> > against the explicit intent of the Linux kernel developers.
>
> If that's what it takes to for me to do science, I guess I have to bite
> the bullet. It will be a while until patent-free drivers for IP-unencumbred
> hardware capable of rendering a nontrivial molecular system will become
> available. When they will, I will use them. Since they aren't there yet,
> as a pragmatic person I use whatever is up for the job. If this violates
> your intent, then I'm sorry, but I really don't care that much.

Then I'm sorry, I'm not going to offer up any help, for the very reasons
outlined by Don's original reply, and I doubt anyone else will either,
which is the main point of this portion of the thread.

I'm sure there's another
"linux-who-cares-about-the-damm-license-just-frob-those-bits-faster"
mailing list somewhere where someone will be glad to help you out.  I
suggest finding it instead of this one...