[linux-elitists] I agreed not to help you, can you help me?

Eugen Leitl eugen@leitl.org
Tue Jun 13 08:46:03 PDT 2006

On Tue, Jun 13, 2006 at 08:09:18AM -0700, Greg KH wrote:
> On Tue, Jun 13, 2006 at 01:44:05PM +0200, Eugen Leitl wrote:
> > So I repeat my question: is anyone here running XGL/Compiz on Dapper Drake,
> > x86_64? Dual-head xinerama 1280x1024 on an nVidia, especially?
> >
> > a) does it run?
> > b) does it suck?
> > c) if it does suck, how?
>
> It sucks because you are using a closed source kernel driver that is

Reread my question.

Where in the above do you see a single mention of a closed source kernel
driver? Hint: there isn't any. I dropped that part of the question
a while ago. None of you noticed.

> larger than the entire rest of your kernel combined, causing it to
> become completly unsupported and forcing _you_ to violate the GPL and go
> against the explicit intent of the Linux kernel developers.

If that's what it takes to for me to do science, I guess I have to bite
the bullet. It will be a while until patent-free drivers for IP-unencumbred
hardware capable of rendering a nontrivial molecular system will become
available. When they will, I will use them. Since they aren't there yet,
as a pragmatic person I use whatever is up for the job. If this violates
your intent, then I'm sorry, but I really don't care that much.

> That's why people are telling you to take it elsewhere.  Please do so.

I can't help but observe that too many so-called elitists will spend
hours arguing semantics, and projecting information into questions
based on what they think the person is asking, instead of actually
reading the damn question, and answering it, or not answering it,
if they don't know.