[linux-elitists] I agreed not to help you, can you help me?

Ben Finney ben@benfinney.id.au
Tue Jun 13 03:40:58 PDT 2006

On 13-Jun-2006, Eugen Leitl wrote:
> On Tue, Jun 13, 2006 at 09:27:32AM +1000, Ben Finney wrote:
> > This is linux-elitists. I can think of few *worse* places to ask
> > for information (except in the negative) on running non-free
> > drivers.
>
> Which part of "XGL/Compiz on Dapper Drake" you don't understand?

I understand that you're asking for people to assist you (by providing
information) regarding non-free drivers in combination with free
software.

> (And are you expecting me, to somehow, feeling guilty for running
> packaged stuff from livna

I'm explaining why your request is in poor taste.

Perhaps you didn't read the link I provided.

    <URL:zgp.org/~dmarti/blosxom/freedom/help-for-nonfree.html>

Consider:

You're using non-free software which requires you enter a contract
with its vendor not to help others in regard to that software. Your
choice, though I'd prefer you didn't.

You're now asking for assistance with that software from the very
people you've agreed to avoid helping.

This is fairly galling, and my answer, at least, is "no", as explained
by the above link. I can't speak for others on this list, but given
its charter I can't imagine many here take kindly to requests for
assistance under these conditions.

--
 \     "If you ever catch on fire, try to avoid seeing yourself in the |
  `\        mirror, because I bet that's what REALLY throws you into a |