[linux-elitists] Laptop models/vendors?

Teh Entar-Nick nick@teh.entar.net
Thu Jun 8 08:46:38 PDT 2006

Okay, so I know that this is pretty much your standard "help me do
market research" posting, but I'm in a bit of a bind here.

You see, I fly out to London in less than a week, and my trusty Thinkpad
T40 gave up the ghost last night.  I'm now in the market for a laptop,
and I'm thinking that this time I should get one with a decent length
warranty.

I've never spent more than $800 on a laptop before (always bought used),
and I've always been satisfied with thinkpads except for the battery
life problem (and power concerns in general).  I mostly stick with them
because I know that I can get everything but 3D acceleration going with
all free software.

Are there any other lines I should be looking into?  Fancy intel chipset
models that are soon to be supported head-to-toe by some loopy code drop
or something?

And are there any reputable vendors I should look at that can either
ship to me before Tuesday or that I can walk into a store in the SF Bay
Area and pick one up?

	Barring that, got a used thinkpad to sell?

--
A: No.                                                 Nick Moffitt
Q: Should I put my reply above quoted text?           nick@zork.net