[linux-elitists] Re: GPL Violations [was Re: Mobile Phone Choices]

Don Marti dmarti@zgp.org
Fri Jul 28 10:27:00 PDT 2006

begin Shlomi Fish quotation of Thu, Jul 27, 2006 at 09:08:17PM +0300:

> So I don't think we should treat companies like this either. And from my
> understanding, that's what gpl-violations.org is trying to do.

There are more than 500 people on this list.  Is your
"understanding" well enough researched or thought-out
that you would stand up in front of 500 people in
person and say this?

If the organization is acting in violation of its
policy...

(From http://gpl-violations.org/faq/violation-faq.html --

"Beware the "public shaming" bomb. It's easy to let
off, but very hard to defuse if you made a mistake
or the issue turned out to be minor and is rapidly
resolved. In addition companies may become very
defensive in such cases and decide to "tough it
out". We want to build bridges and giving a company
no way to avoid losing face hinders that, especially
in certain cultures."
)

that that's worth bringing up.  So, what's going on
that you're aware of and that we're not?  Please don't
just randomly type about your "understanding" to 500
people.

--
Don Marti
http://zgp.org/~dmarti/