[linux-elitists] Mobile Phone Choices

Patrick Mochel mochel@digitalimplant.org
Wed Jul 26 08:50:26 PDT 2006

On Tue, 25 Jul 2006, Dave wrote:

> The Nokia 770 seems promising, and would be *great* if it was also a phone...

This is a bit tangential, and definitely doesn't answer your original
question, but hopefully it might be useful..

>From what I understand, all cell phone designs must go through regulatory
testing, which lasts something on the order of 2 years. I'm not an expert
on the regulations (and I probably couldn't comment on them if I knew any
more, because of the cabals involved in setting the standards).

But what is interesting, is that by *not* providing cell phone
functionality, a company like Nokia can design, implement, and ship a
device in the same amount of time that it would spend -- after it was
effectively done -- in testing. For something like the 770, this is good
because it provides the opportunity of having several iterations of
improvement, in a relatively short amount of time. And that is important
because there have been several attempts at making devices like this in
the recent past, all miserable failures for one reason or another:

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2004/09/13/oqo_launch_date/
http://news.com.com/2100-1040-242264.html

..so having something that looks nice and with a decent set of software
will help to solidify it. Hopefully.

BTW, there is an upgrade available for the 770 (http://maemo.org/), which
provides (among other things), VOIP support and compatability with Google
Talk. With that, and/or the Bluetooth support, you have the ability to
actually talk to people, but without having to deal with the evilness of
the GSM carriers..

 	Patrick