[linux-elitists] GPL Violations

Chris Ball cjb@mrao.cam.ac.uk
Wed Jul 26 16:07:04 PDT 2006

>> On Wed, 26 Jul 2006 14:53:39, Jeff Waugh <jdub@perkypants.org> said:

   > <quote who="Shlomi Fish">
   >> One thing the FSF got right and the gpl-violations.org got wrong
   >> is that dealing with GPL violations should be done discretely,
   >> with respect to the violator, without much publicity (at least not
   >> until the case is resolved) and with as few negotiators as
   >> possible. (much less lawyers involved).

   > I'm not sure this is a particularly fair appraisal of
   > gpl-violations.org

Yes, this seems to have been completely baseless.  In the blog post
we're discussing, Harald doesn't disclose the company involved and
clearly demonstrates his preference for settling violations without
court cases.  Also, from a Groklaw interview:

| So, out of -- another figure that is interesting is that out of these
| roughly 120 [violations] all but 5 were actually out of court. So in
| five cases we had to obtain a preliminary injuction and in two of these
| cases we actually had to go beyond the preliminary injuction but in
| general those cases can be resolved out of court.

- Chris.
--
Chris Ball   <cjb@mrao.cam.ac.uk>    <http://blog.printf.net/>