[linux-elitists] Mobile Phone Choices

Jonathan Corbet corbet@lwn.net
Tue Jul 25 15:31:35 PDT 2006

Dave <dave@lab6.com> wrote:

> I've seen a few press releases that say 'this phone runs Linux', like
> http://www.imcosys.com/ and
> http://mobile.haier.com/English/Product/GSM/N60/N60.htm but both
> companies said that the phones software is not licensed under the GPL
> or other Free Software license.
>
> Are there any phones which are, or will be?

The best bet in this area, I think, is the Motorola a780; Harald Welte
has figured out how to update the software and has been busily working
on a port of the 2.6 kernel.  http://openezx.org/ for more information.
If the phone itself were just a little smaller, I might have one by now.

Incidentally, Harald has just posted that he has a big GPL hearing
tomorrow:

  http://gnumonks.org/~laforge/weblog/2006/07/25/#20060725-court_hearing

Should be interesting.

jon