[linux-elitists] LinuxWorld Conference and Expo

Modus Operandi modus@as220.org
Tue Jul 25 13:34:57 PDT 2006

Hey Elitists,

    I wish I could go. I greatly enjoyed LinuxWorld
Boston, especially the keynote by Nick Negroponte
about the "One Laptop Per Child" project. The idea of
redesigning computers for low power consumption is
intriguing -- I just saw "An Inconvenient Truth" and
it made me feel a little funny that I've spent the
last five years boasting of continuous uptime on all
my computers, basically wasting electricity.

    At the last Expo, everybody was talking about
server virtualization and buzzing around the XenSource
demonstration. Lots of tables prominently featured
3D desktops tricked out with Xgl and compiz -- wobbly
windows, spinning cubes, DVDs playing with alpha
transparency. What do we think people will be excited
about at this Expo, besides just eye candy?

    One thing that springs to mind is ntfs-3g, the new
open source read-write driver which replaces the
former Captive NTFS system (which acheived similar
results in the WINE way by using the closed source
Microsoft ntfs.sys driver.) The developer, Szakacsits
Szabolcs, won't be there, but ntfs-3g is a huge
breakthrough for dual-booters like myself. It also has
implications for the new Intel-based Macs (not that
any Linux Elitists would ever have a dual-boot OS X
and Windows workstation!) because cross-platform
support for Mac's HFS+ filesystem has been spotty.

    What else is new since the last Expo?

--
/home/modus/.signature
Tue Jul 25 15:50:30 EDT 2006