[linux-elitists] IANAL, TINLA

Don Marti dmarti@zgp.org
Thu Jan 12 11:55:02 PST 2006

begin Mr. Bad quotation of Wed, May 26, 2004 at 01:48:00PM -0400:

> Anyone who's spent any reasonable amount of time around intelligent
> people on the Innurnet knows that "IANAL, TINLA" means "I am not a
> lawyer, this is not legal advice." We use these terms when discussing
> legal issues.

> But the more I think about it, the more ridiculous this sounds. First,
> I can't believe that in a democracy, people cannot discuss the laws of
> their country, state, or city without the appearance of "practicing
> law". Law affects everyone, and not just lawyers talk about it. It
> seems quite dangerous for free speech that discussing government
> policy without being careful could cost you fines or possibly jail
> time.

So when a bunch of freedom-loving hackers can get a
Famous Law Professor to call them back about comments
on licensing issues...

http://people.debian.org/~evan/ccsummary

...I think it's time to retire "IANAL" for good.
So for 2006, my New Year's Resolution is that I have
something to say about a legal issue, I'll say it,
and I'll refrain from _argumentum ex ano_, and I
won't need "IANAL" either way.

What is up with Debian and CC these days, anyway?

--
Don Marti
http://zgp.org/~dmarti/