[linux-elitists] http://zgp.org/linux-elitists/Aaron+Sherman.html

Rick Moen rick@linuxmafia.com
Mon Jan 2 14:49:21 PST 2006

Quoting Aaron Sherman (ajs@ajs.com):

> The URL mentioned in my subject bothers me a bit, so I thought I'd bring
> it up to the list.

You don't actually dislike the _URL_.  Funny how some computerists act
like they don't know how to dereference, eh?

The _actual_ nub of the matter is that you have a personal problem:

> Searching for my name via Google (yeah, I googled myself, go fig)
> yields this page as the 7th hit [...]

The fact that I'm not very sympathetic might be explained by the fact
that, as you can verify by ego-searching _my_ name, "Rick Moen is an
idiot".  Moving right along, though, your complaint states:

> The page begins:
>
>         Aaron Sherman
>         I hate you, Greg
>
> No context.

Er, no sir.  Context:  Do you see that funny-looking highlighting of
the phrase "I hate you, Greg"?  It's called a hyperlink.  Select it in
your Web browser, and it takes you to
http://zgp.org/linux-elitists/20051026115239.GZ2249@leitl.org.html,
which takes you to the complete thread, presented in a
thread-highlighted format that Don created in an effort to improve on
the rather retarded functionality and presentation of Pipermail,
Mailman's default archiver, whose main virtue at the time of adoption
apparently was it having been coded in Python.

> The page goes on to list several subjects of threads along with their
> contributors and a short excerpt. The excerpts, however, are also not
> mine.

Even an idiot like me can figure out that the thread matched an archive
search for your name (which is what you did) because you posted to it, here:
http://zgp.org/linux-elitists/20051026115239.GZ2249@leitl.org.html#1130418383.13669.27.camel@markab

> ...could someone please just add a comment to the page (presumably by
> modifying the indexing software in question) to indicate that this is
> an index of threads that I contributed to, not a list of excerpts from
> my postings?

Personally, I'd consider doing that only at top consulting rates, if at
all.  Why?  Because the fact that you say you want clarified as a
special-for-you favour is _already flippin' obvious_.

I have a theory that you already _do_ understand all this fully, but
basically object to how your Google ego-search winds up, and consider
Don easier to nag favours from than Google -- which would make this
an excellent example of what I term "tactical stupidity
(http://linuxmafia.com/~rick/lexicon.html#tactical-stupidity).  Could
you clarify that, in the name of science?

--
Cheers,
Rick Moen                 "Anger makes dull men witty, but it keeps them poor."