[linux-elitists] utf-8 terminal apps

Chris Ball cjb@mrao.cam.ac.uk
Tue Feb 14 10:14:48 PST 2006

>> On Mon, 13 Feb 2006 21:07:13, Eugen Leitl <eugen@leitl.org> said:

   > However, I was getting used to Eterm, and apparently that one
   > doesn't handle utf-8 properly yet.

It doesn't handle many things properly, I'm afraid.  Eterm has had
the dubious honour of having, alongside buffer overflow problems, a
vulnerability whereby someone can trick you into running arbitrary code
as your user by *sending an escape sequence to your terminal*, from as
many systems away as they like.  See:

    http://www.securityfocus.com/bid/10237/discuss

    > Any alternative suggestions?

I use xterm.  It has Unicode support, and doesn't have the history of
rendering slowness that gnome-terminal has.  I'd love to see a terminal
that incorporates some of the features of GNU screen -- being able to
search through scrollback and being able to detach the terminal from the
X server it's running on and attach it to a different one without losing
any state would both be useful.

Having just written about gnome-terminal slowness, I see this blog post:

   http://davyd.livejournal.com/166736.html

which shows gnome-terminal (now) rendering faster than xterm.  I can
reproduce the numbers.  Well done to the Gnome developers:

xterm:
  cat /usr/share/dict/words:  0.00s user 0.16s system 2% cpu 5.485 total

gnome-terminal 2.12.0:
  cat /usr/share/dict/words:  0.00s user 0.14s system 4% cpu 2.903 total

- Chris.
--
Chris Ball   <cjb@mrao.cam.ac.uk>    <http://www.mrao.cam.ac.uk/~cjb/>