[linux-elitists] Can this person be helped?

Don Marti dmarti@zgp.org
Wed Feb 8 11:59:51 PST 2006

begin Tom Clark quotation of Wed, Feb 08, 2006 at 02:38:29PM -0500:

> This is really just a minor annoyance, but I am struck by the failure of
> this person to get Linux.  Her point of view has been so strongly shaped
> by Windows use that she just can't seem to understand anything else.  Is
> there a way to reach people like this, or must we just write them off as
> computing's lost generation?  Is there a twelve step program?

All IT arguments are based on rationalizing what
the user has already chosen for social or emotional
reasons.  So you're probably wasting your time.

Based on watching the advisories flow by, a typical
free software distribution probably has more security
vulnerabilities open at any one time than a typical
Microsoft Windows product.

Yes, that's right, more.

But the catch is that our side's package management
tools give us features and affordances to install
as little software as possible.  So nobody
installs as much of "the distribution" as a
proprietary software user installs of "the product".
This effect seems to be pretty constant -- as less
(experienced/software-distrusting) administrators get
put in charge of Linux boxes, the package management
policies, defaults, and tools are getting better.

--
Don Marti
http://zgp.org/~dmarti/