[linux-elitists] Can this person be helped?

Tom Clark tclark@requisitesystems.com
Wed Feb 8 11:38:29 PST 2006

On a LUG mailing list to which I subscribe, I enjoy the regular postings
of another subscriber who works primarily with Windows.  She seems to
make a point of posting a message whenever she encounters a non-Windows
system that has a security issue.  While I'm sure she means well, the
messages seem to have a "You Linux geeks think you're all that, but
you're not!" tone.  She never seems to post about problems with Windows
systems, but then again, how could she find the time?

This is really just a minor annoyance, but I am struck by the failure of
this person to get Linux.  Her point of view has been so strongly shaped
by Windows use that she just can't seem to understand anything else.  Is
there a way to reach people like this, or must we just write them off as
computing's lost generation?  Is there a twelve step program?

Cheers,
Tom