[linux-elitists] DoD and standards.

Ben Finney ben@benfinney.id.au
Tue Dec 26 16:29:23 PST 2006

On 26-Dec-2006, James Sparenberg wrote:
> I'm saying that html e-mail is the violator of standards

I presume you're talking about an inline HTML body part in a MIME
multipart/alternate message. I don't know whether you're making a
distinction between messages with *only* a text/html part, or a
text/plain and text/html part.

What standards are violated, in what way, by such HTML bodies? I was
under the impression that the MIME multipart/alternate specification
was intended precisely to allow including different versions of a body
part.

> and the fact than an entity as large as the DoD is seeing this and
> moving towards standards it could help in promoting the standards
> (of e-mail).

I'm all for the eradication of HTML message body parts from email, but
I don't see the case for the accusation of "violation of standards".
Please enlighten us.

--
 \      "For my birthday I got a humidifier and a de-humidifier. I put |
  `\      them in the same room and let them fight it out."  -- Steven |