[linux-elitists] DoD and standards.

Jeff Kinz jkinz@kinz.org
Tue Dec 26 05:47:32 PST 2006

On Sun, Dec 24, 2006 at 07:35:44PM -0800, James Sparenberg wrote:
> As a number of people on this mailing list could well be in a position to
> promote standards compliance, and may always need current
> ammunition to argue against the PHB's of the world.  This bit of news has come
> across my desktop that I feel could be useful in promoting standards
> compliance and the value of such.
>
> It seems that the DoD has decided to actively block all HTML e-mail.
> Additionally questioning the continued use of outlook and it's siblings.  If
> the DoD moves this way the rest of government (in the US) won't be far
> behind.  NASA and the NSA are two others that to the best of my knowledge in
> part or whole also practice active blocking of HTML e-mail
>
> http://www.fcw.com/article97178-12-22-06-Web

Hi James,
I saw that too, but I don't understand your position. Are you saying
that HTML email is a violation of standards, or that blocking HTML email
is a violation of standards?  (personally I would prefer that HTML email
didn't exist, but that's wishful thinking on my part)

I guess I'm missing how you think this news would be useful in promoting
standards since I'm note sure what standard it couls be used to promote
enforcing.  I've not had my coffee yet so could you clear it up for
someone who's gearbox clearly hasn't kicked in yet? :)

Jeff Kinz