[linux-elitists] Dual bore - a question on diagnosis

Dave Jones davej@redhat.com
Fri Dec 22 07:51:47 PST 2006

On Fri, Dec 22, 2006 at 02:21:30PM +0000, Phil Mayers wrote:

 > A combination of arguments seems to help things along:
 >
 > mem=512m notsc ide0=noprobe ide1=noprobe

I'm surprised it worked at all with these, as the only one I've
been able to track down breaks horribly and doesn't boot unless
you pass acpi=off.  It seems to have some issues parsing the PCI bus
topology.  AFAIK people at HP are poking at the acpi code hoping
to get this resolved.

This bit 2.6.18 and 2.6.20rc1 kernels, so it should affect
all the Fedora/RHEL5-beta releases, so I'm quite puzzled how
it wasn't needed for you.

With disabled ACPI the machine was a little sluggish, but that
could be down to a number of reasons.  I'm hopeful that it'll
'just work' when the acpi bug is fixed.

		Dave

--
http://www.codemonkey.org.uk