[linux-elitists] Dual bore - a question on diagnosis

Phil Mayers p.mayers@imperial.ac.uk
Thu Dec 21 06:21:06 PST 2006

On Wed, Dec 20, 2006 at 10:51:27AM -0700, Gary Sandine wrote:
>> > Sadly, it runs Linux sllooowwwlllyyy....
>> >
>> > I'm giving up. It's going back.
>>
>> Before you send it back, that is listed as having a SATA300 drive in it.
>> Try checking the drive for a jumper to set it to SATA150 and see if it
>> solves the problem. If it does, then you know to avoid Intel and SATA300
>> setups from any vendor, not just that model of HP.
>
>Also, if the system has at least a gigabyte of RAM installed, try
>passing:
>
>mem=1000m
>
>or some lower value (keep it less than 1 gig) to the kernel at the GRUB
>or LILO command line.  I have seen cases (with first generation Centrino
>laptops) where this would eliminate extreme sluggishness in computers
>with >= 1 gig of RAM and a CONFIG_HIGHMEM=y kernel.

Both excellent suggestions, thanks.

I'm not in the office today so haven't tried them myself, but a
colleague tells me they're not effective. Grumble. See later post about
comedy reasons I'm not able to return it...