[linux-elitists] Dual bore - a question on diagnosis

Gary Sandine linux-elitists@laclinux.com
Wed Dec 20 11:28:48 PST 2006

On Wed, 2006-12-20 at 13:49 -0500, Greg Folkert wrote:
> On Wed, 2006-12-20 at 10:51 -0700, Gary Sandine wrote:
> > On Wed, 2006-12-20 at 10:45 -0600, Steven Critchfield wrote:
> > > On Wed, 2006-12-20 at 11:45 +0000, Phil Mayers wrote:
> > [..]

> > > Before you send it back, that is listed as having a SATA300 drive in it.
> > > Try checking the drive for a jumper to set it to SATA150 and see if it
> > > solves the problem. If it does, then you know to avoid Intel and SATA300
> > > setups from any vendor, not just that model of HP.
> >
> > Also, if the system has at least a gigabyte of RAM installed, try
> > passing:
> >
> > mem=1000m
> >
> > or some lower value (keep it less than 1 gig) to the kernel at the GRUB
> > or LILO command line.  I have seen cases (with first generation Centrino
> > laptops) where this would eliminate extreme sluggishness in computers
> > with >= 1 gig of RAM and a CONFIG_HIGHMEM=y kernel.
>
> Okay, but let us say I have 4GB of RAM installed.
>
> Effectively what would that buy me?

It would provide evidence for what the problem is so it can be
addressed.

> Are you saying that 3GB would be wasted and not be worth putting in?

I don't remember what the original problem was, but the slow behavior no
longer shows in the formerly problematic hardware when using recent
kernels (no mem truncation required).  I think it's fixable if this is
what's going on.

As Dave Jones' recent reply in this thread suggests, this is not worth
trying unless you are running a 32 bit kernel.